Pythian Market Food Hall New Orleans -Top 10 in the USA
A Food Hall For All & Events Space
Green Coast Enterprises – a real estate developer focused on urban areas in need of community renewal – was interested in creating a #foodhallforall in a historic landmark building in downtown New Orleans. The Pythian was built in 1908 by the Colored Knights of the Pythias, a prominent African-American fraternal organization. The grand building towered over the surrounding neighborhood, and became a center of the black community, hosting businesses and local organizations, a theater, and a rooftop garden featuring live jazz.
While the owner of Green Coast Enterprises had the vision to create a unique and vibrant food hall that sourced local, minority-owned and female-led businesses, they lacked the expertise and experience in the food and beverage sector. Moreover, a notably challenging aspect of a food hall is that there is more than just one operator, thus exponentially complicating all aspects of the project, from concept development through construction, branding/marketing, and launch.
Gigachef Hospitality Group
was hired to spearhead the entire project from scratch, from concept creation through opening day and beyond. Specifically, Gigachef:
- Conducted a comprehensive market plan assessment
- Translated the owner’s vision into a formal, actionable plan – concept development, strategic ideation, FS design, MEP, CAD plans, etc. – for the creation of a vibrant, community-driven food hall and other related offerings within the building (event spaces and bars, for example)
- Managed design layout process, reviewed architectural plans, and advised on maximizing operational efficiencies
- Developed business model and financial plan (vendor deal structure) and identified/interviewed potential “on-brand” food vendors, ensuring an ideal mix
- Recommended specialized equipment for varied cuisine offerings (wood fired, plancha, etc) and negotiated with vendors
- Supervised buildout and all construction phases, identified the path of travel and all infrastructure needed for maximum efficiency (cold/dry storage, conference/event rooms, garbage, production, etc.
- Managed RFPs and hired marketing agencies for branding, signage, and year 1 communications plan development
- Gigachef’s “A to Z” efforts and continuous oversight ensured the project came in at the projected $8.5MM cost, opening to the public in spring 2018.
Pythian Market Food Hall has garnered enthusiastic international, national and local attention as an undisputed NOLA food destination, appearing frequently in on- and offline media outlets. Of note: the food hall was:
- Named “Top Ten Best New Food Halls 2019” by US News & World Report
- Ranked within the top ten “Best Wedding Spots in Louisiana” by www.weddingspot.com
In 2020, Gigachef was brought back to develop COVID-19 guidelines and protocols for the food hall and other public spaces
To hear more about this exciting project, contact us here! email@example.com